05 November 2008

Irony and Tyranny

Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder, treason, and plot
I know of no reason the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.


For those unaware, today is a most important day. First, it is Guy Fawkes day. Second, it is the day America fully learned the outcome of the elections.

Before I rant, let me just reiterate my previous sentiments that I'm thrilled a black man was taken seriously in this race for the presidency. I think it is wonderful a black man has been chosen to be the 44th president.

I weep that that black man was Obama.

Guy Fawkes is relatively unknown in the US, and that is because he is a British figure of heroism / infamy. On the fifth of November, 1506, Guy was discovered guarding a stash of some 1800 pounds of gunpowder in a cellar beneath the House of Lords.

His intention was to blow up the House of Lords are the commencement of Parliament, effectively removing those in power from office.

His band of Catholic that conceived and enacted this plot did so because they had run out of options. They knew no outside power would help them. They were essentially on their own against very bad odds.

In his subsequent trial and torture Guy revealed no relevant information. He was hanged, drawn, and quartered. From then on the evening of November fifth has been known and 'Guy Fawkes' or 'Bonfire Night' in reference to the effigies of guy that are burned.

This is done to celebrate the foiling of the plot.

Some of us, however, remember and celebrate for other reasons.

Just as desperate times call for desperate measures, different times call for different measures.

I'm not about encouraging violence (though I recognize the need arises from time to time as a last resort) or assassination plots (though I predict there are many a brewing). I think a war of words and actions are to be used in the fullest extent possible before investing in the last resort.

I am about change. I am about rebellion against the forces of oppression. I am about fighting the good fight. And I am about to start right now.

As I look to Guy of the past, and the US government of the future, I can't help but to see the similarities.

People like me are on the verge of oppression. We must now realize that we live in a nation where a majority of the citizens have willingly begun the process of handing off their rights.

Like Guy we lay in the cellar atop a (figurative) powder keg, out numbered and out gunned, with no hope of outside help.

This is the moment of truth. But instead of clenching my fists and railing against things I cannot change I will conserve my energy. I will reaffirm my inner-convictions of the things I believe. I will ready myself for the inevitable. I will prepare for the fight.

Friends, lets not whine and moan and complain about the things we cannot change (read: those in control of the presidency, congress, and house for the next few years). Instead, let us focus on the things we can change.

Ready?

Set?

. . .

2 comments:

reesmc said...

so i thought about it for a while, and came up empty on things i can change.(legaly that is) you should start a list. not a list for people to follow blindly, but a list to open our eyes, and possibly get our brains moving and thinking on their own. a jumpstart if you will, just like you would for a dead car.

V said...

I was there.
all that ignorance, all that blind following.
but hey, we got a black man in the presidency.
tha's fly.