04 November 2008

Thoughts on a Most Important Election Day

On this most brisk November fourth, I'm the idiot walking around without a jacket, wearing shorts, a T.S.O.L. t-shirt, and a little LED badge telling people to vote.

Yeah, I'm a little on edge today. But its more about the citizens than the politicians for me.

First off, I don't really care is people disagree with my opinions. That's part of living critically: examining every issue from more than one viewpoint. But dammit, leave my yard signs alone!

I appreciate your passion, oh thou thief of my yard sign, but please do not trespass or touch my property. Common courtesy, I think.

But know this: That sign you stole, was replaced by, not one, but three.

The voting booths have been quite full today, based on my limited observation. This both encourages and scares the hell out of me.

I love people exercising their right to have their voice heard. I feel the two most severe Sins of Democracy are informed people not voting and uniformed people voting. And while I can't say for certain that someone I don't know is informed or uninformed, I fear we are increasingly living in an uninformed populous.

But in the information age, how is one uninformed? They simply accept what is told to them by their media outlets without thinking for themselves.

There are a lot of solutions the political could-be's serve up to the voting populous.

Of course, the solutions are proffered in shiny and exciting packaging with no price tag affixed.

I fear our addiction to media has created a crowd of political three year-olds making Christmas lists while thumbing through Toy-R-Us catalogs without ever pausing to consider the cost or impact of these wondrous diversions.

Maybe political ads should carry the same warning as ads for alcohol: Please vote responsibly.

Two of my friends voted for the first time today. Neither are 18. But both Nick and Danielle cast their virginity stealing vote after thoroughly examining the issues at hand.

Friends, in light of today's performance, thy past sins against democracy have been forgiven.

People need to stop assuming that just because I'm not voting for Obama that I'm a republican voting for McCain.

I know the talking heads provide you with but two entrees, but the United States political system actually offers its citizens a buffet of political parties.

Did you know that in recent history more than 20 political parties have promoted officially recognized presidential candidates? Now tell me the media isn't pigeon holing us as voters by presenting only two parties.

Then again, no one is stopping you from learning about the other parties and deciding if one may be a better fit for you than the old elephant and jack-ass.

Personally I believe in the ideology of the Libertarian party.

No, not liberal, Libertarian.

I am not throwing my vote away
by voting for Bob Barr.

Do I truly believe that Barr will win the presidency? No. But while my vote today will not put a Libertarian in the White House, it will draw attention to my party and our cause.

My vote for Barr is my proclamation to the nation that I want more than two parties. I want more choice.

I'm glad there's a black candidate that's being taken seriously for the presidency. I am sorry that he's Obama though. His change isn't the kind I want.

Finally, if Obama wins
at least Aug 4 will become a new national holiday.

I mean, who wouldn't love one more day away from the daily grind?

Too bad someone's going to have to die for us to get it.

No comments: